Monday, May 12, 2008

Déjà vu and Firsts


This trip has already been full of many deja vu moments. The Cambodia I came to know and love was the one seen through the eyes of a missionary. Coming here as a researcher and as friend provides a very different perspective. However, some things bring familiar memories flooding back.

For example, those of you who are familiar with Southeast Asia know that the rainy season is just beginning. The weather seems to be fairly predictable right now...hot and clear in the mornings and afternoons filled with spurts of torrential rain that send everyone running for cover. Jes and I were going to visit some friends the other day and got stuck in one of those exhilarating downpours. Sometimes I forget that I don't have to be out in the rain trying to get to a teaching appointment anymore. Jes is good about always reminding me that we can stop and put ponchos on. By the time we got to my friend's house we were soaked and dripping despite the ponchos. We stood outside the door wringing our clothes out and still dripped water all over their house! Good thing they love us!

In addition to the rain, riding a bike brings back so many memories and flashes of familiar emotion! Yes, we did get bikes to travel around the city. It is much less expensive than riding on motos or in kombeys and you feel so free when you can go wherever you want whenever you want. As soon we got our bikes and began riding, I felt invigorated and energized! I was unaware of this until Jes noted that she was exhausted from riding around all morning...my experience was the exact opposite. Jes does a great job bringing me back down to earth, by reminding me to slow down and that there is "not an investigator at the other end" of our ride! :) We have a good time riding around Phnom Penh and even were able to find a difficult address this morning. I'm sure there will be more biking adventures ahead for us.

These moments of deja vu are almost as frequent a the new experiences I am having here. So far there have been many firsts. For example, the other day after beening stuck in the rain we went across the street from my friend's house and got our nails done. I know it is hard to believe that I would even think of such a thing! But I'm sure it wasn't my idea. :)

A couple of days ago I had a chance to go with Cambodian friends and some former Elders who are visiting or doing work here in Cambodia to a Cambodian dance club. I love music and dancing but I have never been to a club here before (not really a popular P-day activity!). It was a total blast! The music was great and you just felt enveloped in it as you walked into the club. You could feel your heart start to beat with the vibrations of the music and your body start to move to the beat. And of course we big white Americans blended in just about as well on a dance floor with our Cambodian friends as we do anywhere else around here!

I also had the opportunity to go to a movie theatre here...wow! not exactly what you would expect in a theatre experience. It was an interesting challenge for my language skills and and telling of Asian interests and humor. The movies they like here are so different, but they seem to really enjoy American movies as well. I think I might have to stick to my old favorites!

3 comments:

Chit Chatt said...

I'm so excited for you both! I can't wait to read about all of your adventures!

Unknown said...

Dancing in clubs and getting your nails done? Who is this? Just kidding, I know you can do anything you want to--and do it well, with style! When do you get back?

Kirsten Treff said...

wow, sounds quite exciting! I have a co-worker who just came from Cambodia, working for an NGO that focused on women's issues, most specifically human rights violations, like trafficking and prostitution...if you're interested in getting connected, I'm sure she'd easily be able to hook you up with her people in Cambodia. It's a large NGO- about 100 paid staff and some 800 volunteers...