Sunday, January 4, 2009

The beginning of a new adventure

Ok, well I am now in Hawaii. I arrived yesterday afternoon in the Honolulu airport. As we flew in and as I got off the plane it felt kind of like Cambodia with the green and the humidity, so it was weird to see houses that were actually pretty nice and more modern civilization. The drive from honolulu to laie is beautiful. Most of it is right along the coast.
My supervisor, Eric, picked me up from the airport. I had dinner with his family last night. They have 6 kids (they are all really cute and bright). I picked up my car and saw the places i might be staying. There is still some confusion about the housing situation, especially after all the flooding that happened here a few weeks ago. So I haven't been able to move in anywhere yet, but I think I will be renting a room from my friend's aunt and uncle. I will be living in their home which is much nicer than the studio apartment that I would otherwise be renting, although it will be a bit more expensive. Hopefully, I will get all of that settled in the next couple days.
On my way here, I was able to spend a day in California with a friend (Meagan) from my mission and her husband (Mario). We had a blast! I stayed with them and we went to the Universal Studio City Walk and to Hollywood. Mario also work for the LA police department and he showed me the areas of LA that he works in. It was really fun. Here are a few pictures from that adventure.




So this morning, I went for a walk around Laie. The campus is only a few minutes walk from where I will be living. Then I walked down to the beach. It was really windy and a bit overcast today but it was beautiful. It was refreshing to hear the waves and smell the salty air. I'm excited about being so close to the ocean here.

Here's the neighborhood near the school where I will be living. You can see how windy it is...I don't know enough to know if that is typical local weather or not.
BYU-Hawaii campus
It is super small... I love that!



And here is the beach just on the other side of the highway.

So I have lots of hiring paperwork to get done tomorrow and the first of several internship interviews start as well. Wish me luck 'cause I'm going to need it!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Goodness sakes! I wish I could have seen you before you left! Looks like fun over there. I like the idea of a small campus. Not as much walking. ;)

Good luck with your internship interviews! Keep posting!