Sunday, January 11, 2009

Finally some fun in the sun

So Friday was the most beautiful day we've had since I have arrived here. I was only at work, on campus, for a little while, and the sunshine and warmth was a clear invitation to finally get down to the beach. On Friday, I went to a beach that is right here in Laie, called Hukilau Beach. There were quite a few people there playing in the waves and just hanging out on the beach. I mostly spent my time relaxing, reading, and soaking up the sun. There's nothing quite as soothing as feeling the breeze off the ocean, smelling the salty air, and taking in the warmth of the afternoon sun on your skin. Even the smell of sunscreen can't be replaced! Everyone said that the nice weather wouldn't last through Saturday. So when I woke up and saw the bright rays of sunshine through my window I knew I needed to get down the beach before the clouds rolled in and hid the sun again. So I went to a beach down the road called Castle beach. Lots of surfers like this beach. There are cool areas out off-shore that have waves breaking in lots of different directions. It was fun to watch the surfers popping up out of the water and gliding different directions with the waves curling at their heels. It was a great place to do some boogie boarding, which I happily did for a couple of hours. It was beautiful and warm. Then as predicted, the sky grew dark and the clouds demanded their turn in the sky.


Here are a few more pictures of campus. This is the main road going into campus...the only road actually. As you drive in you see about 60 or so flag poles proudly displaying the flags of many of the nations that the students here call home. It is a pretty cool sight and represents and even cooler multicultural dynamic on campus. A friend here told me that BYU-Hawaii is currently recognized as the most diverse university in the United States (haven't seen any solid statistics, but that's pretty amazing!).


So in general, the weekend was productive and fun (figured out laundry, advertised some more for a roommate, and got a promise that a shower rod will arrive by Monday!). However, Sunday has been really hard. I was very homesick today. Sunday always leaves alot of time, free from too many distractions and responsibilities, to think about things. I miss everyone alot and am still in the process of getting settled and trying to remember why it was I decided to come out here alone. I have met some really cool people already and tonight I had dinner with a really good family friend and her family. That was really fun and I felt very welcome and loved AND it still hurts to be away from the people I care so much about. I hope all of you do still feel how much I think about and love you. Thanks for being an important part of my life and for caring about me.

4 comments:

Kirsten Treff said...

Wow- looks like THE place to be! And I thought the weather was nice here (after returning from Syracuse wintry weather for 3 weeks!). Anyway, I hope you're feeling better- I'm sure you'll do great there -and feel free to call:)

Anonymous said...

Ok, so gotta say... the description of the beach... that was brutal!!! :) I'm already starting to buy bathing suits for this summer and can't wait for this stupid snow to melt! Can't tell you what I would have given this weekend to be at the beach on Friday and Saturday. I love you friend and miss you tons! Hope you are feeling better today than you were yesterday! I'll talk to you later!

Regs said...

re . . . the pics are beautiful. What an awesome place to be! I understand the loneliness. It sucks. Know that we love and miss you just as much. Can't wait to see you again. Love you!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow Marie! It is so beautiful! I am so jealous. I am glad things are going well. If things have to change atleast it is in a beautiful place.
:)
Love,
Marissa