Saturday, February 21, 2009

Match Day

Friday morning at 6:30 am Utah time (so 3:30 am Hawaii time) we received and e-mail from National Matching Services (I think that's what they are called) informing us whether or not we had matched for internship. Marie wasn't all that stressed out about the matching process but I was freaking out. See, here's the thing, statistically speaking you have the highest chance of matching if you apply to 12 sites and don't limit yourself geographically. I applied to half that many sites and limited myself geographically. So overall, the odds were against me. I don't think I'd EVER been so anxious about anything in my life! I REALLY wanted to match and the chance of not matching felt very real to me. I didn't sleep at all Thursday night (well, that's not completely true I slept from 12:00 am to 1:30 am and then from 3:30 am to 5:00 am) and ate a bunch of junk food for comfort! So anyway, the e-mail was scheduled to come in was at 8:00 am Utah time, luckily it came in earlier or I might have started having panic attacks. The news was good... I matched and so did Marie. I waited until 8:00 am Utah time (yep, 5:00 am Hawaii time) to text Marie to let her know I'd matched and confirm that she had too. It's a good thing Marie loves me enough not to block my number on her phone after 5:00 am wake up texts (I have a tendency to forget the whole time difference thing, although Friday's text was deliberate despite the hour). I'm thrilled and extremely relieved (massive understatements) that I matched! We won't know until Monday where we are going but we know we are going...

So, Friday night Ose came down to Provo with his friend Nicole and helped Debbie move some stuff in his truck. So, we took advantage of the fact that Ose was in P-town and chilled and celebrated matching Cabral style. I had e-mailed my mom a few days before to find out how she made fondue and what types of cheeses she used and we decided to chill/celebrate by making fondue. It had been years since we'd had fondue and it was lots of fun to make (none of us "kids" had ever made fondue) and it was REALLY tasty.  

Ose stopped at the State Liquor Store (the only place we know of in Provo to get anything which higher alcohol content than beer or cooking wine) and Debbie and I went to the store for the cheeses (Gruyere, Fontina, and Emmentaler) and bread. When we lived in Quito we'd go to this place called "El Espanol" to purchase our fondue cheeses and they would shred the cheese for you. The grocery store here, however, won't do that for you because apparently "the soft cheeses ruin their blades."  So, we gathered all the cheese graters we could find at my house and Debbie's and did the grating ourselves. Ose cut the bread and worked up a sweat doing it but blamed it on the fact that Debbie keeps her house too hot and I melted the cheese over the stove and thought the temperature of the house was just right :). So, here are the pictures of our "Fondue Night:" 
  

The "Ose with a knife" picture.

The "Debbie helped Ose figure out how to properly use a knife to cut bread" picture. 

The "Ose looking pleasant while posing with Quel by the stove as Quel melts the cheese in the wine" picture.

The "Cheese, wine, and fondue pot" picture

And finally, the "Three beautiful women with Ose as photographer" picture.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow quel! that sounds like a blast. i'm sad i wasn't there for your fondue party.

Debora said...

Love it Quel, wait a minute, did you delete a picture? :) ahahhahah