Sunday, February 22, 2009

The last couple weeks have blown by. It has been super busy with the classes I am teaching and at the counseling center. I'm struggling to juggle all my responsibilities there and not work more than I am supposed to (that is an important goal for me). I have a very full client load and we just got done with our Depression Screening Day. I was in charge of organizing, preparing, and executing it. It is a super cool outreach activity, but it took a ton of work. I think it went very well for the students who participated, but there were some really frustrating things about it to. Below is a picture of one of our little tables that we set up with fliers, information, and the screening measures. It was really fun to work the other interns on the project.



Last weekend, I went with a couple friends (Bambi and Liz) to Honolulu to go to a Liz's brother's new restaurant. We got to be part of a practice lunch they were doing. It was very fun and the restaurant is great. That same morning we went snorkeling at Hanauma Bay and then to Ala Moana beach in the afternoon. It was a full day of fun, even if the weather was fickle. The picture above is of Bambi and me at Ala Moana beach. Below is a picture of the beach from where we were sitting and the next one is Liz waving from the water.



President's Day brought a welcome 3-day weekend. We decided that it was important to celebrate the holiday and the day off so we planned a Monday full of activities. Monday morning, Bambi and I hiked Hau'ula Loop trail. It was a nice, fairly short, hike that has a beautiful view of the ocean from within the mountains. Here are some pictures from our hike.





One of my favorite beaches here is Waimea beach. It is along the north shore and is always pretty popular. We went there on Monday and then again this past Saturday. The waves can get big but the water is beautiful and fun to play in. I wish the pictures could capture the size and power of the waves coming in, but they just don't!

These shots (above and below) are taken from the beach, looking into Waimea Valley. It is a beautiful blend of blues and greens, especially when the clouds flit playfully across the brillant azure sky.
Yesterday, we were all feeling pretty goofey and decided to see how far we could walk, standing on top of each other, toward the shore before the waves knocked us over. Below are some shots of our attemps. Steph is standing, with Vickie's help, on my shoulders as we struggled to stay upright while the waves rolled in... good times and a lot of laughs! :)



Here are just a few other pictures of us hanging-out at the beach.




This week should be a fairly normal work week. I will find out Monday morning where I have been matched for internship. I've been trying not to think about it too much or get too worked up about it, but I will let everyone know when I find out where I will be spending the next year of my life!
Time feels like it is slipping by too quickly now. I have visitors coming out soon! My parents and my sister Marissa will be coming out in a few weeks and then Quel will be here at the end of March. I just extended my ticket home from April 21st to May 2nd...trying to soak up as much Hawaiian fun as I can before I have to leave!

2 comments:

Chris said...

Marie Z I love you. I'm happy you're having an adventureful life in Hawaii (I know that's not a word but I liked it better). You're incredible and I'm excited too to see where you matched!!! It's like another mission call!!!

Anonymous said...

How fun!!! All the beach pictures are killing me! Can't wait to go! Love ya!