Saturday, June 21, 2008

A day at the lake...

Marie and I were supposed to go wake boarding the week we got back from Cambodia and Mozambique, but as you recall the weather didn't exactly cooperate and then I left for Girl's Camp and Marie left for Mexico with her family and we never got to go. However, on Wednesday (maybe Thursday, I don't really know) I got a phone call from Ose saying that he was taking to boat out this Saturday and wanted to know if I wanted to come along... YAY! (Note to Marie: Sorry you didn't get to go friend, you would have loved it... we'll have to do it again when we get back from Mexico City.)

Today we went out to Utah Lake over by Saratoga Springs... Ose said he would have preferred Echo but the water had been really cold last time he was there and the water at Utah Lake was warmer. He knows I'm a bit of a wimp when it comes to cold and I'm glad we went with the Utah Lake alternative because the water was a bit cold and I'm not sure I could have done colder... the water did warm up throughout the day though. So, here are our tales from our day out at the lake.... Debbie, Dani, and I met up with Ose, Brett (Ose's roommate) and Shanlee (Brett's girlfriend) at the marina a little after 10:00 am - Ose was late but we forgive you Ose :). Here we are waiting for Ose to arrive ... he really wasn't that late I'm just messing with him because he kept apologizing for being late.
Debbie and Dani on the boat waiting for our turn to get the boat into the lake.
Ose getting things set up... he did a fabulous job!
And finally in the water ...
Brett was the first to get in the water and did a wonderful job wake boarding... apparently the water was a bit choppy initially but he still managed to get a few jumps and stuff. There are better shots of him doing tricks but they are in Ose's camera. but there he is...
Then, it was my turn. Did I mention I had never gone wake boarding before... So we got me all set up (wet suit and everything so that I wouldn't freeze to death) and Ose guided me through the process and theory of wake boarding and then I got in the water... and there I stayed... :)
This is how I looked most of the time ...
And this was about as close as I got to getting up...
Not a naturally gifted wake boarder... clearly... but next time... maybe...

Here's a shot of Ose wake boarding. Again, better pictures in his camera (I know because I took some of those and got a couple of good shots of him up in the air) but I'll post this one in the meantime and replace it when I get his.
Debbie didn't try wake boarding this time so I have no shots of her but she has done it in the past and, unlike me, she has managed to get up.
Ose also got a tube out so Dani could get in the water... she was hesitant at first but finally got in with me and loved it.
We also went on some wild rides in the tube without Dani (did I say wild mom? what I really meant was "com emoção" :) but completely safe!) and I did a fine job hanging on, if I might say so myself. Of course, my fine job at hanging on did lead to a few battle wounds ... but honestly, my escalator incident injury at Dulles International Airport hurt more than this - this didn't hurt at all.

Really, I know it looks bad but I don't even feel it... in fact, if Debbie hadn't pointed it out I probably wouldn't even know it was there.

So here are a few last shots of our day out at the lake. Our captain ... yes, we actually trusted this guy to handle the boat all day - makes you question our sanity a bit.
Brett... the guy in charge of the boat when the other captain was in the water... further evidence of our questionable sanity.
Shanlee...Los hermanos Cabral... (Note to Sam: We decided you need to come visit us in July or August that way you can experience Utah when it's hot. We'll all go out on the boat and we think you'll have a blast - we could all imagine you laughing like crazy on the tube.) And of course, the cutest little thing on the boat...
As always, hope you enjoyed the pictures! I'll be meeting up with Marie on Tuesday in Mexico City for more adventures so stay tuned. Hope you're all having a great summer!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I know I'm from Provo, but I have only been boating in Utah Lake once and it was last summer! It was a lot better than I thought it would be. I thought it would be smelly and dirty, but it was quite refreshing. I'm glad you got to finally have a day at the lake!